Blackshaws Privacy Statement
Blackshaws Garage (Alnwick) Ltd takes the issue of personal data security very seriously. This statement explains how and why we collect personal data, what we do with the information, who we share it with and how you can access the information we hold about you.
Collection and use of personal information
We collect personal information about you when you make an enquiry, book a test drive, request a brochure and if you place an order for a vehicle, parts, repair work, MOT or servicing. This information is either collected online via our website or when you visit one of our dealerships and it is needed to enable us to provide the services you have requested from us.
The following section sets out in more detail the specific information we collect and why we collect it:
- If you make a service, MOT or repair booking we require your name, contact information and vehicle details. This information is required in order to arrange your booking, notify you if there are any changes to your booking and advise you when your vehicle is ready for collection. If you purchased your vehicle from Blackshaws we will also use this information to send you an annual service and/or MOT reminder and to let you know about any safety related recall work that is needed on your vehicle.
- If you take out a courtesy car from our service department or if you book a test drive we will also need a copy of your driver’s licence. This is so that we know you are legally permitted to drive one of our vehicles and in case of any speeding, parking or other motoring offences that may occur.
- If you purchase a vehicle from Blackshaws we are obliged at the point of sale to collect your full name and address, contact telephone number(s), date of birth, payment information, details of the vehicle you are buying and any details of the vehicle you are part exchanging including mileage and MOT information if relevant. We are also legally required to submit your name and address details to the DVLA as the new owner of the vehicle. The information we collect will be kept no longer than required by regulatory laws.
- If you apply for or take out finance when you purchase a vehicle we are required to collect and submit additional details to the finance provider which may include your marital and housing status, number of dependents, occupation, employer, business address (if applicable), bank details, proof of address (eg utility bill) and any other relevant documentation. Our finance providers include Suzuki Finance, RCI (Nissan) Finance, Mitsubishi Finance and Evolution Finance. Blackshaws does not retain or store any of this additional information either in hard copy or on our internal data management system.
- If you visit one of our dealerships we use CCTV to monitor our premises therefore your image and potentially your vehicle registration number may be captured and stored on our equipment for a period of 28 days.
- If you use one of our aftersales services or purchase a vehicle from Blackshaws we will ask you how you wish to be contacted by Blackshaws in the future. We may wish to contact you for a number of reasons including fulfilling a request you have made, asking for your feedback so that we can improve our customer service, issuing statements, invoices and payment reminders, notifying you that your finance or warranty is due for renewal, informing you about special offers, sales events and new vehicle launches, alerting you to safety issues and communicating with you about the general ongoing maintenance of your vehicle. Our data management questions include opt-in boxes so you can choose how or if you wish to receive this communication from Blackshaws. If, at any time, you no longer wish to be contacted by Blackshaws you can ask to be removed from our database. All of our email correspondence gives you the option to unsubscribe from further email contact.
Disclosure of personal information
In order to help us deliver our products and services we may disclose your personal information to third parties under the following circumstances:
- If you purchase a new car your personal information will be disclosed to the manufacturer for warranty, registration and safety recall purposes. You may wish to read the manufacturer’s privacy statement to see how they will use your information.
- If your vehicle purchase includes a finance agreement we will disclose your personal information to our finance providers so that they can consider your credit application. You may wish to read the finance provider’s privacy statement to see how they will use your information.
- If you purchase a vehicle from Blackshaws, as required by law, we will disclose your personal information to the DVLA.
- If you purchase an insurance product, service plan or extended warranty we will disclose your personal information to the relevant providers of these products.
- If you are eligible for complimentary RAC or AA assistance we will disclose your personal information to the relevant provider of your breakdown assistance.
- If you borrow a courtesy vehicle we are required to disclose your personal information to our insurance provider Coopers Solutions.
- If you purchase a vehicle from Blackshaws we may disclose your personal information to a customer contact company called Prospecting Dynamics so they can obtain independent feedback for Blackshaws about our standards of customer service. Any personal information disclosed to Prospecting Dynamics will be deleted from their system once the telephone survey has been completed.
- Occasionally we use third party printers to personalise letters and envelopes. The printers we use do not retain any of the information we disclose and all name and address information is immediately deleted from their systems after printing.
- We may be required by law to disclose your personal information in the event of criminal proceedings relating to fraud prevention or money laundering.
Security of personal information
We take all necessary technical and organisational precautions to prevent the loss, misuse or alteration of your personal data. All digital customer records are stored on our Data Management System which has firewall protected servers. As required by law we retain financial records for a period of 7 years. We do not store any customer bank details either digitally or in hard copy. Any personal information supplied via our website is protected by encryption technology.
Your rights to access information
Under GDPR legislation you have the right to request details of any personal information we hold about you via a Subject Access Request at no cost. Upon receipt of such a request we will confirm your identity and provide you with the data in the most practical format. If you instruct us to destroy your data we will do so as quickly as possible.
Please refer to the Cookies Policy on our website.
We are registered as a data controller with the Information Commissioner’s Office and our registration number is Z7781587.
If you have any questions about this Privacy Statement please contact Blackshaws Garage (Alnwick) Ltd, Birch Close, Lionheart Enterprise Park, Alnwick, Northumberland, NE66 2EP. Telephone 01665 602123 or alternatively you can fill out an enquiry via our website www.blackshaws.net
Find out more
If you have a question or you would like to contact us please click on the link below.Get in touch